“1857 revolt could have been nipped on the first day if police, farmers, and public had not joined, says historians”
● The first expression of organised resistance against the British East India Company.
● Started on 10th May when the Company’s Indian soldiers at Meerut rebelled. Delhi was the centre of the Revolt
● Known by several names: Sepoy Mutiny, First war of Independence (V.D.Savarkar), the Indian Mutiny, the Great Rebellion, the Indian Insurrection.
● Lord Canning was governor general of India during the Indian Mutiny of 1857.
Causes of Revolt
● Political causes - Policy of ‘Doctrine of Lapse’, ‘Subsidiary Alliance’ etc.
● Administrative causes - Rampant corruption, no focus on Indian development
● Economic causes - Heavy Taxation, Unpopular revenue settlements etc.
● Immediate causes - General service enlistment act, discontent among sepoys
Centres of Revolt and Leaders
Delhi - General Bhakt Khan
Kanpur - Nana Saheb, Tantia Tope
Lucknow - Begum Hazrat Mahal
Bareilly - Khan Bahadur
Bihar - Kunwar Singh
Faizabad - Maulvi Ahmadullah
Jhansi - Rani Laxmi Bai
Effect of Revolt
● Company rule was abolished
● Crown took over the administration
● Army reorganised
● Racial hatred between Indians and English deepened